Join Hafta-Ichi to Research the article “Biden aims for 4 July ‘return to normalcy’ in first national TV address – live reaction | US news”
Joe Biden pledged yesterday that all US adults will be eligible for coronavirus vaccines by 1 May, as he addressed the nation on the one year anniversary of the Covid-19 pandemic. Biden outlined plans to speed up vaccinations around the country and hoped for a return to normalcy by 4 July.
He said the country was on track to reach his goal of 100 million shots in arms on his 60th day in office. Biden had previously set a goal of 100 million shots in arms within his first 100 days in office.
The president also condemned hate crimes against Asian Americans, and repeated his calls for unity, as he urged Americans to continue to wear masks
Welcome to our live coverage of US politics for Friday. Here’s where we are and what we might expect to see today…
- Joe Biden addressed the nation in a primetime speech on the one-year anniversary of the pandemic in the US. The president mourned those who have died and offered hope – suggesting that the US could regain a sense of normalcy by 4 July.
- Biden also said his administration will push states and local governments to make all adults eligible for the vaccine by 1 May.
- Earlier today, Biden signed into law his $1.9tn stimulus plan. White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Americans could start receiving their stimulus checks as early as this weekend.
- The New York state assembly has authorized its judiciary committee to start an “impeachment investigation” into sexual misconduct allegations against Andrew Cuomo. The panel’s investigation would run parallel to one being led by the state attorney general, Letitia James, and would be authorized to interview witnesses, subpoena documents and evaluate evidence.
- The Los Angeles police department has been criticised over its handling of protests after the death of George Floyd, with an independent review finding that poor planning led to chaos and mass arrests.
- Actor Matthew McConaughey has announced he is “seriously considering” a run for Texas governor, a year before the state election.
- Heavy rains triggered flooding on multiple Hawaiian islands this week, destroying homes and bridges and setting off mass evacuations. The downpour, officials and climate scientists say, is an example of the more intense rainstorms that are occurring more frequently as the planet warms.
- Joe Biden has two main events in the dairy today. He has a virtual meeting with “the Quad” – the prime ministers of India, Australia and Japan. That’s at 8.30am EST (1330 GMT).
- At 2.30pm, the president and vice president Kamala Harris will deliver remarks on the American Rescue Plan in the White House Rose Garden. Members of Congress will also attend.
- He will also lunch with Harris, and in the afternoon the president and Dr Jill Biden will head to Wilmington, Delaware for the weekend.
Source: The Guardian
Keyword: Biden aims for 4 July ‘return to normalcy’ in first national TV address – live reaction | US news