Join Hafta-Ichi to find out the article “Coronavirus live news: cases rising in 22 US states as France declares more Covid-19 ‘red zones’ | World news”
More on the US case rise: on a percentage basis, South Dakota had the biggest increase over the past two weeks at 126%, reporting over 3,700 new cases. Health officials have linked some of the rise to hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists who descended on Sturgis, South Dakota, for an annual rally in August, Reuters reports.
Cases are also rising rapidly in Iowa, with 13,600 new infections in the past two weeks, and North Dakota, with 3,600 new cases in the same period.
The increases are masked nationwide by decreasing new infections in the most populous states of California, Florida and Texas.
In California, cases fell by 39,000 over the past two weeks compared with the prior two weeks, compared to a 37,000-case increase in the 22 states in the same period, according to a Reuters analysis of state and county data.
Cases rising in 22 US states
Coronavirus cases are rising in 22 of the 50 US states, according to a Reuters analysis, a worrisome trend on a Labor Day holiday weekend traditionally filled with family gatherings and parties to mark the end of summer.
As little as three weeks ago, cases were increasing in only three states, Hawaii, Illinois and South Dakota, according to an analysis comparing cases for the two-week period of 8-22 August with the past two weeks.
Most of the 22 states where cases are now rising are in the less-populated parts of the Midwest and South.
While cases nationally have dropped from a peak in July, the United States is going into the Labor Day holiday weekend with an average of 44,000 new cases a day – double the number ahead of the 23-25 May Memorial Day weekend.
Many health experts partly blame the July spike on social gatherings held around Memorial Day.
Hello and welcome to today’s live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.
French authorities have placed seven more departments covering major cities such as Lille, Strasbourg and Dijon on high alert as increases in Covid-19 infections accelerate, the government said Sunday.
Meanwhile Coronavirus cases are rising in 22 of the 50 US states, according to a Reuters analysis. The trend is concerning on a Labor Day holiday weekend, traditionally filled with family gatherings and parties to mark the end of summer.
- Coronavirus cases are rising in 22 of the 50 US states, a Reuters analysis has found. Three weeks ago, cases were only rising in three states – Hawaii, Illinois and South Dakota.
- Turkey recorded 1,578 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, the health ministry said, bringing the country’s total to 279,806. A further 53 people died in the past 24 hours, taking the country’s official death toll to 6,673.
- Nearly half of Greeks (44%) would refuse to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, according to a poll of 1,000 respondents published on Sunday. Meanwhile, a survey of the same number of Brazilians found 5% would definitely snub a vaccine, while a further 20% expressed reluctance.
- Nearly 3,000 more people in the UK tested have positive for Covid-19, with 2,988 new cases reported on Sunday – a sharp increase from 1,813, and the highest number of new cases since 23 May. However, fatalities remain low, with two new deaths within 28 days of a positive test reported in the last 24 hours.
- Hundreds asked to self-isolate after outbreak at UK charity football match. Up to 300 people who attended a charity football match at a working men’s club on the border of Sunderland and Durham have been asked to self-isolate after 28 tested positive for Covid-19.
- Israel is set to lock down several cities after passing the milestone of 1,000 coronavirus deaths this weekend. The government will hold a vote on the renewed lockdowns tomorrow.
- The Isle of Man has recorded its first confirmed Covid-19 case since May, the chief minister has said. The person had returned to the island a week ago on a flight in which all passengers wore masks, and has been self-isolating at home for seven days. The chief minister stressed there is “no need for concern” as the case has been contained.
- The Australian government has announced Covid vaccine deals to provide 84.8m doses. The country will buy 84.8m vaccine doses for $1.7bn if two promising Covid-19 vaccine candidates prove successful.
Source: The Guardian
Keyword: Coronavirus live news: cases rising in 22 US states as France declares more Covid-19 ‘red zones’ | World news