Join Hafta-Ichi to Research the article “Coronavirus live news: EU drug agency to respond to AstraZeneca blood clot concerns; Delhi imposes curfew | World news”
Hello and welcome to today’s live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic with me, Helen Sullivan.
Europe’s drug regulator has denied it has already established a causal connection between the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine and a rare blood clotting syndrome, after a senior official from the agency said there was a link. It expects to announce its findings on Wednesday or Thursday.
Meanwhile in India, Delhi’s government has imposed a night curfew taking effect from today until 30 April. The curfew will be in place from 10pm to 5am every day.
- AstraZeneca jab trial on children paused as UK regulator investigates rare blood clots in adults. A vaccine trial into the safety and efficacy of the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine in children has been paused while the UK medicines regulator investigates a possible link to rare blood clots in adults who had the jab.
- Brazil breaks national daily Covid deaths record. Brazil’s coronavirus catastrophe has deepened further after more than 4,000 daily deaths were reported for the first time since the outbreak began in February last year.
- France logs highest number of intensive care Covid patients in a year. France’s health ministry reported on Tuesday that the number of people in intensive care with Covid-19 had increased by 193 in the space of 24 hours to 5,626, the highest number for almost a year.
- For time being ‘no evidence’ benefit-risk assessment for AstraZeneca jab needs changing, WHO says. The World Health Organization (WHO) expects there will be no reason to change its assessment that the benefits of the AstraZeneca vaccine against Covid-19 outweigh any risks, its regulatory director said on Tuesday.
- Turkey records highest ever daily infections tally. Turkey recorded 49,584 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, health ministry data showed on Tuesday, the highest level since the start of the pandemic.
- Canada gripped by ‘very serious’ third wave, PM says. Canada’s Covid-19 hospitalisations are surging, intensive care beds are filling up and coronavirus variants are spreading as a third wave of the pandemic sweeps across much of the country, the prime minister, Justin Trudeau, said on Tuesday.
- “Travesty” that some countries lack access to Covid vaccines, WHO says. It is a travesty that some countries still have not had enough access to vaccines to begin inoculating health workers and the most vulnerable people against Covid-19, the head of the World Health Organization said on Tuesday.
- Indonesia reports first case of new contagious, more vaccine-resistant virus variant. Indonesia has reported its first case of a more transmissible new variant of the coronavirus known for reducing vaccine protection, but the government on Tuesday said vaccines being used in the country could withstand the mutation.
Source: The Guardian
Keyword: Coronavirus live news: EU drug agency to respond to AstraZeneca blood clot concerns; Delhi imposes curfew | World news