Join Hafta-Ichi to find out the article “Coronavirus live news: WHO reports record new global cases; Israel becomes first country to reimpose lockdown | World news”
Of that record one-day case increase, the largest individual country infection totals were from India, the United States and Brazil, according to the WHO.
India reported 94,372 new cases, followed by the United States with 45,523 new infections and Brazil with 43,718.
Both the US and India each reported over 1,000 new deaths and Brazil reported 874 lives lost in the past 24 hours.
The previous WHO record for new cases was 306,857 on 6 September.
On 17 April, the agency reported a record 12,430 deaths.
Hello and welcome to today’s live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.
My name is Helen Sullivan and I’ll be bringing you the latest global Covid-19 news for the next few hours.
As always, it would be great to hear from you. You can find me on Twitter @helenrsullivan email: email@example.com.
The World Health Organization reported a record single-day increase in global coronavirus cases on Sunday.
In the 24 hours to Sunday, 307,930 new infections were confirmed globally. The previous WHO record for new cases was 306,857 on 6 September. The agency reported a record 12,430 deaths on April 17.
Global officially recorded deaths from Covid-19 rose by 5,537 in the same period to a total of 917,417.
Here are the key developments from the last few hours:
- The World Health Organization reported a record single-day increase in global coronavirus cases on Sunday, as the tally surged by a further 307,930 infections in just 24 hours.
- Israel’s government will impose a new three-week nationwide lockdown that will start on Friday, after the rate of infection during the past two weeks became the highest recorded since the outbreak began.
- South Africa’s finance minister, Tito Mboweni, warned Sunday the economy could shrink by more than the 7% forecast for 2020, stressing that public finances are “overstretched”.
- Spain plans to extend until the end of the year a measure preventing employers from using the coronavirus pandemic as an excuse to fire staff.
- Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen unit will begin mid-stage trials of its Covid-19 vaccine in Spain on Monday.
- Saudi Arabia will partially lift its suspension of international flights as of 15 September to allow “exceptional categories” of citizens and residents to travel.
- Around 4,000 health workers demonstrated in Brussels on Sunday, calling for more spending on the healthcare system.
Source: The Guardian
Keyword: Coronavirus live news: WHO reports record new global cases; Israel becomes first country to reimpose lockdown | World news