Join Hafta-Ichi to Research the article “Donald Trump rebuked for removing mask after leaving hospital – US politics live | US news”
Here’s a reminder of how Donald Trump left the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center after spending several days receiving treatment for Covid-19. Trump’s doctors said the US president was ‘not yet out of the woods’ but had met all standard hospital criteria to be discharged.
Trump’s physician, Dr Sean Conley, said: ‘We remain cautiously optimistic and on guard because we’re in a bit of uncharted territory when it comes to a patient that received the therapies he has so early in the course.’ When asked by reporters Conley said he was ‘not at liberty to discuss’ Trump’s latest lung scans due to health privacy regulations.
The president then appeared at the White House. He removed his surgical mask on the balcony and recorded a video message telling people not to be afraid of Covid-19. ‘Don’t let it dominate you, don’t be afraid of it, you’re going to beat it,’ the US president said. ‘I know there’s a risk, there’s a danger but that’s OK’. He suggested he may now be immune to the disease though he added he did not know.
The Johns Hopkins University coronavirus tracker has recorded that 210,192 people in the US have died from coronavirus.
First Lady Melania Trump, who also announced that she had tested positive on Friday but who has been less visible over the weekend, thanked Americans on Twitter for their prayers and continued support. “I am feeling good & will continue to rest at home. Thank you to medical staff & caretakers everywhere, & my continued prayers for those who are ill or have a family member impacted by the virus.”
Good morning, and welcome to our live coverage of US politics for Tuesday – another day which will be dominated by discussion of the president’s health. Here’s a quick summary of where we are, and a little of what we can expect today:
- Donald Trump left Walter Reed hospital, where he was being treated for coronavirus, on Monday evening. He wore a mask while leaving the hospital and again as he walked from Marine One to the White House. He then removed his mask to pose for photographs, while standing near photographers. Trump still has coronavirus, is still contagious, and according to CDC guidelines, should remain in isolation until at least 10 days after his diagnosis, which came in the early hours of Friday.
- Trump’s personal physician, Sean Conley, said the president met the discharge requirements but was “not entirely be out of the woods yet”. He said Trump would take another dose of remdesivir before leaving the hospital, his fourth. Conley repeatedly refused to say when Trump’s last negative test was, which would have implications for contact tracing and provide more context to the timeline of when the president knew he had Covid.
- Trump tweeted a video in which he said of the virus, “Don’t let it dominate you. Don’t be afraid of it.” Coronavirus has already killed 210,117 Americans – or one in every 1,560 people in the country. Yesterday there were at least 39,000 new cases and 460 new deaths reported in the US.
- Anthony Fauci warned on CNN that Trump could experience a “reversal” in his progress. The top US infectious diseases expert and White House Coronavirus Task Force member said: “The issue is that he’s still early enough in the disease that it’s no secret that if you look at the clinical course of people sometimes, when you’re five to eight days in, you can have a reversal.”
- Shortly after Trump’s maskless moment at the White House, Joe Biden held a town hall in which he repeatedly stressed the importance of masks to protect others. He also tweeted several times about this. “I would hope that the president having gone through what he went through will communicate the right lesson to the American people: Masks matter. They save lives,” Biden said.
- Trump plans to participate in next debate, a spokesman for the president’s campaign said. The debate is due to be held on 15 October.
- When vice president Mike Pence and California Senator Kamala Harris debate on Wednesday, they will do so separated by plexiglass shields. Frank J Fahrenkopf Jr, chairman of the debate commission, said: “The Trump campaign agreed to that so long as we don’t surround Vice President Pence all the way around. He doesn’t want to be in a box.”
- Trump’s top spokesperson, Kayleigh McEnany, announced she had tested positive for coronavirus on Monday, in yet another escalation of an outbreak that has thrown the White House into disarray.
- The president’s schedule for Tuesday remains clear. The White House published Trump’s daily guidance and schedule events for Tuesday, which lists no public events, though this isn’t an indication that Trump won’t make an appearance.
- Joe Biden is traveling to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania today to campaign in the battleground state.
Source: The Guardian
Keyword: Donald Trump rebuked for removing mask after leaving hospital – US politics live | US news