Join Hafta-Ichi to Research the article “Trump condemned for Covid stunt ‘insanity’ as US approaches 7.5m cases – US politics live | US news”
Here, if you missed it, is that drive-by sequence from yesterday. President Donald Trump is currently hospitalised with coronavirus. He should, according to his own CDC recommendations, be isolating as much as possible. Instead he’s in a car, waving at supporters camped outside the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
James Phillips, doctor of emergency medicine at George Washington University, who is an attending physician at Walter Reed, called the stunt “insanity”.
“Every single person in the vehicle during that completely unnecessary Presidential ‘drive-by’ just now has to be quarantined for 14 days. They might get sick. They may die,” he wrote in a tweet.
“For political theater. Commanded by Trump to put their lives at risk for theater. This is insanity.”
In a second tweet, Phillips added: “That Presidential SUV is not only bulletproof, but hermetically sealed against chemical attack. The risk of COVID19 transmission inside is as high as it gets outside of medical procedures. The irresponsibility is astounding. My thoughts are with the Secret Service forced to play.”
Good morning, and welcome to our live coverage of US politics for Monday, which will no doubt again be dominated by news of president Donald Trump’s health. Here’s a quick catch-up on what we know.
- The White House’s medical team said Donald Trump “has continued to improve” since Saturday and could be released as early as Monday. The team confirmed the president had lowered oxygen levels at one point and refused to answer questions about whether the president has suffered lung damage.
- Trump made an impromptu appearance outside of the hospital on Sunday afternoon, waving from inside an SUV to a crowd of supporters who gathered outside the hospital. Concerns were raised about the other people who were in the car with Trump, who was wearing a mask.
- Kayleigh McEnany, White House press secretary, refused to commit to releasing to the public how many White House officials have tested positive for Covid-19
- Mary Trump has said the US is “in the horrible place we’re in” because members of the Trump family, including the president, see illness as “a display of unforgivable weakness”.
- A Reuters/Ipsos poll indicated a majority – 65% – of Americans believe Trump would not have been infected with the virus if he took it more seriously.
- The US reported 50,044 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, taking the country’s total – the highest in the world and a fifth of global cases – to nearly 7.5m. 690 new deaths were confirmed, according to Johns Hopkins University.
- Understandably, Donald Trump has no public engagements in his diary for today – although that didn’t stop him making a public appearance yesterday. An attending physician at Walter Reed Medical Center condemned that drive-by as “insanity”.
- Joe Biden has a busy day in Florida. In the afternoon he and his wife Jill will visit a cultural center in Miami, and then give remarks in Little Havana on how to ‘Build back better’ for the Hispanic community. At 8pm, he will participate in an NBC News town hall.
- In-person voting starts today in California, Iowa, Maine, Montana, Nebraska and South Carolina.
Source: The Guardian
Keyword: Trump condemned for Covid stunt ‘insanity’ as US approaches 7.5m cases – US politics live | US news