Victoria records five new cases of Covid-19 taking Melbourne outbreak to 35 | Melbourne

Join Hafta-Ichi to Research the article “Victoria records five new cases of Covid-19 taking Melbourne outbreak to 35 | Melbourne”

Victoria has recorded five new locally acquired cases of coronavirus, with four linked to a food distribution delivery driver, as the state enters its second day of its fourth lockdown.

The update brings the total number of cases from the latest outbreak in Melbourne to 35.

A record 56,624 tests were conducted in the 24 hours to Saturday morning, surpassing the previous day’s record of 47,462 tests.

On Saturday, the state’s Covid testing commander, Jeroen Weimar, said four of the new cases were linked to a person who tested positive on Friday.

The Victorian health minister, Martin Foley, said the person was a food distribution delivery driver who visited “multiple stores and grocery sites across metropolitan Melbourne on 18 and 19 May”.

There are now more than 150 exposure sites and more than 15,000 primary and secondary contacts who must self-isolate after coming into potential contact with a person with Covid-19.

Foley said the individual “worked during their infectious period” but they “showed no signs of Covid symptoms themselves”. He also thanked the food distribution company and customers for working with contact tracers.

Weimar said four of the new cases announced on Saturday were household contacts of the delivery driver, including a student at Mount Ridley college in Craigieburn.

He said these four people had only been in isolation for one day. The fifth case was separate, and was an employee of firm Stratton Finance who became infected at a display home in Mickleham.

Late on Friday the Victorian health department announced new tier 1 exposure sites, including the Preston city hall, which is a vaccination centre. The health department said a potentially infectious person visited the hall for a flu vaccination on 22 May between 9.30am and 11am.

The new list of tier 1 sites – where people are most at risk of catching and spreading the virus – includes Sabrini Foods in Carrum Downs, Dosa Hut in Craigieburn, Spice Inn Groceries in Dandenong, Bestway supermarket in Dandenong, Marmara Halal Meats in Dandenong and Epping Spices & Nuts Grocery Store at various times between the 19 and 25 May.

Other tier 1 sites include the Telstra Shop on Clarendon Street in South Melbourne, Hunky Dory Fish & Chips in South Melbourne, the Clarendon Centre public toilets, the Miss China noodle bar in the Clarendan Centre, a 7-Eleven in Thomastown North, and Erol’s Fruit Shop in Wollert.

A JB Hi-Fi and a Good Guys in Maribyrnong and Dan Murphy’s Brunswick East were added as tier 2 exposure sites.

A full list of exposure sites can be found here.

Foley announced what he called a “hat-trick of records”, as the state administered a record number of tests and vaccinations over the past three days.

Of the five new local cases on Saturday, he said four were associated with the city of Whittlesea and one was linked to the Port Melbourne workplace outbreak.

Weimar said that so far there was “no evidence of transmission” at the MCG or at Marvel Stadium, which were exposure sites for the Collingwood v Port Adelaide and Essendon v North Melbourne games respectively.

He said 70% to 75% of close contacts identified at the MCG and Marvel Stadium had so far tested negative.

Weimar said that approximately half of the vaccinations given yesterday were Pfizer and half were AstraZeneca.

Hafta Ichi
Source: The Guardian
Keyword: Victoria records five new cases of Covid-19 taking Melbourne outbreak to 35 | Melbourne

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *