Join Hafta-Ichi to find out the article “Victoria records one death and 12 new cases as Covid-19 numbers continue to drop | World news”
Victoria recorded one more coronavirus death, taking the state toll to 782 and the national figure to 870 as new case numbers continue to drop.
The news comes as Victoria’s health minister quit her portfolio on Saturday and said she will leave parliament as the fallout from the state’s Covid-19 hotel quarantine scheme continues.
Jenny Mikakos issued a statement confirming her move, just a day after the premier, Daniel Andrews, gave evidence to an inquiry and pointed partial blame at the minister for her role in the bungled scheme, which led to the state’s deadly second wave of infections.
The state recorded only 12 new cases and Melbourne’s 14-day average fell again to 23.6. It is 0.8 in regional Victoria.
New South Wales recorded no locally acquired cases after a mystery new case of a man in his 50s from Sydney’s south-west testing positive on Friday ended the state’s three-day streak of no community transmission.
His infection could reset NSW’s “border clock” with Queensland if authorities cannot account for the origin of his case.
NSW Health said on Friday the man had not had contact with a previously confirmed case.
Just one new case was recorded in the latest reporting period: a returned traveller in hotel quarantine. The case was detected from 12,258 tests.
In Queensland there were three new confirmed cases, taking the number of active cases to seven.
“Two of these cases, a male aged 40-49 years and a male aged 60-69 years, are crew members of an international vessel,” Queensland Health said in a statement.
“The third case, a male aged 40-49 years, is a returned traveller detected while in hotel quarantine. He is a resident of Western Australia. All other passengers on this individual’s incoming flight to Queensland are in quarantine.”
Meanwhile, Melburnians are waiting for restrictions to be eased on Monday, although the premier has tried to temper expectations.
He has flagged the next scheduled “step” on 26 October could be changed, depending on improving case numbers.
Proposed changes for Monday include a staged return to school for some students and an allowance for outdoor gatherings of five people from two households.
In NSW people are being urged to get tested as soon as symptoms appear as residents move across the state during the school holidays.
“We all need to do our part to keep the community safe from another outbreak,” NSW Health said on Saturday.
“Get tested right away at the earliest symptoms and help protect friends and family from serious disease. This is especially important in south-west Sydney.”
Queensland’s chief health officer, Jeannette Young, said it appeared the mystery infection would reset the border clock with NSW but she would await the result of the investigation.
NSW must record 28 days with no community transmissions before its border with Queensland is reopened, a feat its premier, Gladys Berejiklian, has described as a “pretty tall order”.
That target was on track to be reached on October 6 but the case has put it in doubt.
NSW Health has advised anyone who attended Woolworths in Campbelltown Mall on September 17 between 1.30pm and 2pm is considered a casual contact of the man and to monitor for symptoms.
Source: The Guardian
Keyword: Victoria records one death and 12 new cases as Covid-19 numbers continue to drop | World news